Gauteng Hikes and Walks
Tim Hartwright covers both the shorter walks in urban parks and rural areas, along with overnight trails such as Suikerbosrand. He explores the unique places that are right on every Gautenger's doorstep, one of these being the Braamfontein Spruit, and shares the rich heritage we need to preserve in our city.
Numerous private trails have blossomed in areas closer to the main metropolises of Gauteng. Shorter weekend and day hikes have come into vogue and in most cases these trails cross private land rather than that belonging to the state. Most municipalities have embraced hiking as part of their commitment to the outdoor recreational activities they offer their residents and visitors.
Explore the various nature reserves, historical, archaeological and geological sites.
Included in the book:
- Detailed description of around 60 hiking and walking trails in Gauteng, including the history and geology, fauna and flora of each area.
- A difficulty rating is included, helping you decide if it is suitable for the whole family.
- Brief descriptions on how to get to the route with GPS coordinates for starting points.
- Security information and emergency numbers.
- Contact details for trail ‰ۡóÁÌ_́ÌÎÌ_?ÌÎÌ_? to know if you should book in advance to walk the trail
- Comprehensive maps for each hike or walk.
Published with the support of Joburg City Parks and Zoo
About the author
Tim Hartwrightis the owner of Jacana Travel Marketing & Reservations and also chairman of the Footprint Hiking Club, and the Braamfontein Spruit Trust, an environmental organisation concerned with monitoring the wellbeing of the spruit and public open spaces and parks in the suburbs of Johannesburg. As such he walks all these areas on a regular basis. He sees his position as that of supporting the work that Johannesburg City Parks does in maintaining the more than 2 000 public open spaces that fall under its control. Tim walks on average 1 200km a year, much of which takes place within this book's covers.
Author Tim Hartwright
We Also Recommend